Re: McDonough to remain Sox voice

--- Kevin Vahey <kvahey@attbi.com> wrote:
> For once it wasn t about the money

Yes, but $500,000 a year for an afternoon sports talk
show and another $150,000 a year to do 30 Red Sox
games is still a pretty good gig.

I'm glad to see McDonough stay.  He and Remy are great
together.  I enjoy them even more when the game is a
blow-out and they just have a good time.

I was interested to see that the Sox would have likely
turned to Gary Thorne if McDonough went to the Mets.
Thorne is the most famous graduate of the University
of Maine School of Law.  He had done University of
Maine games and was practicing law in Bangor when a
friend of his bought a AAA team and moved it to Maine
in the 1980s.  Thorne was the radio voice of the Maine
Guides for one year before getting a job with the Mets
and he has made a good career broadcasting hockey and
baseball in New York and on ESPN.  It certainly beats
practicing law.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine
   Maine Law, 2003.