Re: WPAA Hasn't Broadcast Anything In Weeks

Laurence Glavin writes:
> As has been mentioned before, WPAA-FM 91.7, the Phillips Andover
> Academy outlet habitually broadcasts an unmodulated carrier most of
> the time. In September and early October, they broadcast some
> programming for a limited time (I surmise that some of the students
> noticed a blurb about the campus radio station and talked a faculty-
> member into powering it up for them;  then they got bored, realized
> it was mono only and hardly reaches the next city and lost interest.)
> So on the basis of the number of times I've sampled the signal, it
> appears that once again they're transmitting an unattended,
> unsupervised, unmodulated carrier 24/7 (their soft-drink machines
> probably dispense the un-Cola[tm] only). This should be illegal but
> there's probably little that can be done about it.

Another one of the reasons they may not be programming now is because of
finals. Most colleges are going through finals week this week or next, and I
would assume that a prep school like Andover would follow more of a college
schedule. (And once students are done with finals, they're all likely
bailing to various points of locale for the holidays.)