RE: Dead FM Broadcasting Technologies

I have always played my Dolby-encoded tapes with the Dolby turned off.
It was definitely too muddy!  Even though there was hiss present, highs
were nicely enhanced.

I have an Akai cassette deck from several years ago that has dbx noise
reduction (in addition to Dolby B and C).  The dbx seemed to be a more
dynamic system.  Lows and highs were boosted dynamically.  But you
couldn't really enjoy playing dbx-encoded tapes on anything else but a
dbx unit.  I the dbx tapes sounded better than the Dolby tapes, but I
couldn't play them in my car.  It's no wonder the dbx system didn't
catch on.

-Lou