Re: WQSO Goes Jockless All Christmas Music

On 25 Nov 2002 at 18:52, Roger Kirk wrote:

> I mentioned this to my wife - she said "I stopped listening.
> I like Christmas music, but NOT before Thanksgiving"

Funny, I think I heard a Christmas song on WJIB this morning.  Yesterday morning, on
LTAR, Bob was describing how he gradually adds more Christmas music until Christmas,
the way stations used to do.

And Donna remarked, as someone does every year, that the Christmas season seems to
start earlier and earlier all the time.

Well, I've come to the conclusion that it isn't so.  It only seems to be so.  I remember when I
was about 10 years old, back in the mid-1950s, seeing Christmas decorations in a store
around Halloween and remarking about it.  The store clerk said something about the season
starting earlier and earlier.

If that were really true, the Christmas holiday season would be starting in January by now.  It
doesn't.  Every year for as far back as I can remember, someone, somewhere begins to do
Christmas stuff around Halloween.  Most people don't.  You see more Christmas stuff as it
gets closer to Thanksgiving.  But the season really gets going in earnest after Thanksgiving.

It just seems earlier because the older we get, the faster time seems to go by, and all of a
sudden it's November again and Christmas products are starting to appear in stores.
November may seem to get here faster than it used to, but it's still November.