Re: Hotel Statler, Boston

It's interesting to learn that push-button hotel radios were
used here in America.  The only time I've ever seen one was 1986
in communist Warsaw.  All the channels were FMs with good
reception, so I supposed that it was a means of giving guests
"radio service" without letting in those pesky MW or SW signals
from the West.

In a less fancy hotel, I later found a Real Radio -- that is,
one with shortwave -- and rushed to hook a scrap of wire to the
terminals in the back.   I held the other end as the BBC came in
scratchily and after two weeks without any contact with Western
media, I felt like a spy.  :-)

--RC

--
http://www.catholicartists.org/