From: "Aaron [Bishop] Read" <>
To: <>
Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2002 4:54 PM
Subject: Re: Comcast merger FAQs

> At 04:17 PM 11/19/2002, Joseph Pappalardo wrote:
> >You know, there's one question that always baffled
me...maybe someone can
> >shed some light on it.
> >
> >Does the head of the FCC (Powell) have *any*
credentials for this job in
> >communications or otherwise....or should I believe
my skeptic's side and
> >believe he is simply the son of a high powered
Washington official?
> >JP
>
> He served as one of the five commissioners during
Kennard's
> chairmanship.  Other than that - your suspicion is
correct - he has no
> credentials in communications.  He DOES have a lot
of political
> appointments under his belt, according to his
biography on the FCC site:

http://www.fcc.gov/commissioners/powell/mkp_biography.html

> I would guess a lot of these appointments are at
least in part due to his
> father's name and influence.   Powell's comments in
past FCC decisions
> before he was chairman always gave me the impression
that he was a career
> bureaucrat with little or no understanding (or
desire to understand) the
> actual issues with communications, rather he's just
interested in the
> politics of communications and nothing more.   His
actions since taking
the
> reigns reveal him to be, IMHO, a tool of big
business and little else.

> Aaron "Bishop" Read     aread@speakeasy.net
> FriedBagels Technical Consulting / Boston, MA
> www.friedbagels.com   AOL-IM: ReadAaron

=====
Joe Pappalardo

joepappalardo2001@yahoo.com