Re: NHPR Chief Named Chairman of NPR Board

At 06:03 PM 11/16/2002, Larry Weil wrote:
>At 05:23 PM 11/16/02 -0500, Aaron 'Bishop' Read wrote:
>
>>At 03:59 PM 11/15/2002, Larry Weil wrote:
>>>Look for all music to disappear from NPR:
>>>http://www.concordmonitor.com/stories/news/local2002/notie_mark_handley_2002.shtml
>>That'd be a good thing, IMHO.   NPR is not the greatest when it comes to
>>music, and it opens the door for someone who can do it better to come in
>>and steal the market.
>>
>>Granted, I'm lucky enough to be in an area where we're swamped with
>>college stations, all playing new and unusual music (lately too many
>>stations, actually...all trying to be the same thing I've noticed).  But
>>if there's a market to be exploited, someone will exploit it.  :-)
>
>Under Handley, all locally produced Jazz and Classical has disappeared
>from NHPR.  There has not been any commercial or college station picking
>up the slack, AFAIK.
>--
>Larry Weil
>Lake Wobegone, NH

Well hell, Larry - time to get off your duff and gripe to your local
college stations!  Or perhaps make a case for getting a show yourself!
:-)

BTW - don't forget that NHPR is consciously tying itself to the hip of
WBUR...not surprisingly given the number of WBUR "refugees" at NHPR these
days.  WBUR made the big bucks by focusing on news and getting rid of
music, and it worked fabulously from a budget and community-respect
perspective.  I don't know about respect, but from what I've heard, NHPR's
fundraising has gone up since they went all-news.

Aaron "Bishop" Read       aread@speakeasy.net
Fried Bagels Consulting   www.friedbagels.com
AOL-IM: ReadAaron         Brighton, MA 02135