RE: XM Receivers

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
[mailto:owner-boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org]On Behalf Of Larry
Weil
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 3:34 PM
Larry Weil writes:

>I believe that XM-Ready means that the controls on the radio will control
>an XM receiver, which is mounted separately behind the dash.

Yes the phrase 'XM-ready' means that particular head unit can control an
external
XM tuner box [from the same manufacturer]. The same goes for Sirius. I know
of
no head units currently available that integrate an XM or Sirius receiver
internally.

As Larry states you also do need to add on an satellite radio antenna.

Just to correctly state the facts, the XM and Sirius tuner boxes on the
market these days
are about the size of a small aftermarket car audio amplifier, so they are
usually
trunk or under-the-front-seat mounted, as you would with an amp. Behind the
dash would be
not feasible with that sort of form factor.

73, de Hakim (N1ZFF)