Re: My Take On Political Ads

Laurence Glavin writes:
> Much has been written here about the NH candidates runnings ads on
> Boston-area radio and TV.  This is quite understandable...but a few
> weeks ago I was in far western Mass, where the major media are in
> Albany, NY and I didn't see or hear any Massachusetts-oriented
> There are tens of
> thousands, if not more than 100K-humans of voting age living in an
> arc from Great Barrington to the Adamses, and they either receive
> over-the-air or cable signals from channels 6, 10, 13 and 23;  to the
> extent that commercials sway voters at all, it seems to me that some
> candidates  should have considered doing what the NH pols are doing,
> and run spots from Albany-based stations.

Big difference. Southern New Hampshire probably contains a good chunk of New
Hampshire's total population. Considering that Massachusetts has 6 million
residents (correct?), your estimate of 100,000 residents in that region
calculates to less than 2 percent of the state population. Paying decent ad
rates in the Albany market to reach a small percentage of eligible voters is
not cost-effective.