Re: Political ads with phone numbers

Steve Ordinetz wrote,

> Has anyone noticed the inordinately high number of political ads
> for N.H. candidates running on WBZ this year (primarily the Sununu
> vs Shaheen Senate race)?  I suppose it speaks well for WBZ's
> influence here in the Granite State, but I don't ever recall it to
> this degree.

Why are you limiting it to 'BZ:  NH political ads have saturated ALL
of the (at least VHF) Boston stations ("There goes 'Poor Martha',
looking to bring the income tax to NH", frequently followed by HER
attack ad against Bradley, with, yet, maybe a third ad for another
NH race and then possibly--just possibly--a fourth ad for an MA
race!)--yet rarely any for RI.
Of course, the reason should be obvious:  With SE'rn NH's fertile
voting audience, combined with the lack of NH VHF stations (only
one--WMUR--in contrast to RI's 3 major) and cable carriage, Boston
stations make for a buying bonanza.
As for the "call them up and tell them what you think", that,
likewise, seems to be mostly a NH phenomenon--though that could be
just the ad saturation factor:  As this new "call them up" ploy
demonstrates, you can have all the campaign/soft money/free airtime
reform in the world, but a way around it will be found before the ink
is dry!

     ~Kaimbridge~

-----
Digitology—The Grand Theory Of The Universe:
           http://www.angelfire.com/ma2/digitology/index.html