Re: WSRO Sale...

WSRO has a CP to move to the WAMG site and has had it for over a year. Adding
the station to the existing facilities at 75 (I believe that's the number)
Concord Ave, Lexington, should NOT be a big deal AT ALL. I suspect that the
biggest issue is whether the ATU networks will fit inside the existing ATU
buildings at the base of each tower. Those buildings are quite large for ATU
buildings so my guess is that it will not be necessary to reconstruct them.
Even though they are small unobtrusive structures (nice looking, too--brick
with slate rooves), if reconstruction were required, I can imagine the Town of
Lexington dragging its heels over the building permit long enough for the CP to
run out.

As for the reason for the lower day power (and the daytime directional pattern
aimed northwest--AWAY--from Boston; it's first adjacent WBET in Brockton. There
was big-time overlap between WSRO and WBET when WSRO ran 5 kW ND days from
Marlboro. That's already gone with the low-power STA operation from Hudson and
it won't return with the move to Lexington. WSRO's equivalent daytime power to
the south and east will be about 100W. The signal to the northwest will be
substantial, though--equivalent to close to 5 kW ND. The 3.4-kW night signal
will be aimed in the opposite direction--southeast TOWARD Boston. The night
pattern will closely resemble WAMG's.

As an aside, WSRO was originally 1 kW DA-D from a transmitter site on the east
side of Marlborough (Curtis Ave). The pattern (a two-tower cardioid nulled to
the northeast and with maximum radiation to the southwest) protected WNBP,
which was then co-channel with WSRO, and also protected as WBET. When WNBP
moved to 1450 and became a full-timer, WSRO was able to increase power and go
full-time from a new site on Fitchburg St on the north side of Marlboro. In
fact, WSRO should not have been granted 5 kW ND days from Fitchburg St because
the operation caused prohibited overlap with WBET.

Arthur Liu's companies do a lot of programming that targets (actually, I should
say lease a lot of time to independent producers whose programs target) various
Asian nationalities. I believe that the town of Lexington, in which the
transmitter will be located and toward which the day signal will be directed,
has the largest population of Chinese extraction in Massachusetts outside of
Boston proper. Moreover, Lexington's Chinese-American community is
extraordinarily wealthy and very highly educated, including many, many faculty
members from MIT and Harvard as well as staff members from MIT Lincoln Lab,
which is across town from 75 Concord Ave.

It looks to me as if Liu will make back his $1.8 million very rapidly. WSRO is
likely to become one of his most valued properties outside of the New York
market, where I believe he owns 930, 1430, and 1480. Also, if you think about
WSRO's new day and night coverage and how it will complement WLYN's, it appears
that Liu will have a fairly decent two-station cluster in metro Boston. As a
bonus, 1470 is relatively close on the AM dial to 1360.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205