Re: A Most Peculiar Priority

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 23:51:48 -0500 Aaron 'Bishop' Read
<aread@speakeasy.net> writes:
> At 11:21 PM 10/29/2002, tklaundry@juno.com wrote:
> >Off the radio topic briefly and a note on Channel 5's coverage of
> the
> >pre-debate during the 6 o'clock news Tuesday.  Janet Wu looked us
> in the
> >eye and said, "voters have three choices next week.  Romney,
> O'Brien or no
> >one".  I can tell you that statement caused quite the stir in the
> WBUR
> >newsroom, we all looked at each other and questioned if that's
> really what
> >we heard her say....apparently it was....so much for unbiased
> reporting.
> >"news you can trust".
> >df
>
> So did anyone at the WBUR newsroom have the balls to suggest that
> perhaps
> WBUR should be raking Ch.5 over the coals for it?   I think such a
> blatant
> editorialization deserves at least a mention in a bottom-of-the-hour
>
> newscast.  Call up Stein, Johnson and Howell...you can bet they'll
> go on
> record denouncing Channel 5 for saying that.  There's your story!
> :-)
>
> "A slow news day means your reporters aren't imaginative enough to
> find
> something."
>
> Or certainly someone at WNYC's/NPR's "On The Media" ought to be
> mentioning
> it anyway...

Actually the producer did pick up the phone and called Channel 5 but
since it was after 6pm their switchboard was closed. There is no "bottom
of the hour newscast" at night and I for one don't believe the "bottom of
the hour" newscast should contain anything less important or be treated
any differently than the "top of the hour".  I don't think a story like
that belongs in a newscast regardless,  it is fodder for editorials or
longer pieces on media bias.  Certanly would be a good item for On The
Media if they could tie it in with other coverage.   I believe lawsuits
have already been filed over issues like this and thrown out of court,
granted the ultimate goal of the lawsuits was to be included in a debate
but the argument of lack of coverage was made by Carla Howell I believe.

df