Listening to noisy signals (was Re: WATD)

Roger Kirk wrote:
>"My experience" has been that "in general" (now and in the 60's) women
>tend not to put up with noise in radio listening that guys seem to ignore
>or overlook.

Not so sure about that.  As a kid my mother never seemed to notice when the
kitchen radio had drifted slightly off-frequency.  It would drive me nuts,
but when I'd adjust it she'd ask me why I was fiddling with the
radio...sounded just fine to her.  I've also noticed that women (again, as
a group not necessarily all) tend to be more satisfied with a
mediocre-sounding radio (boombox, SoundDesign stereo, etc) than men.

I wonder as far as static is concerned the reason being women's ears tend
to be more sensitive to higher frequencies while men's are more sensitive
toward lower ones.