RE: FM Channel 215

Most stations use circular polarization, which satisfies both horizontally
and vertically polarized receive antennae, and better fills in shadows that
would be noticed with just horizontal or vertical polarization. That
less-focused-in-one-plane signal does cost the transmitter some more distant
reception, however. Most mobile (and often home) listeners make use of
vertically polarized antennae - and it would appear that WCNI is focusing
their power that way, instead of in the horizontal plane.

It's quite a power increase, with them going from 480W to 5KW. Nice 20dB
jump, though they're not changing their HAAT or transmission coordinates. It
certainly won't make any difference to any except WBUR listeners, as WCNI's
HAAT of 57m really is the limiting factor of their coverage. Heck, they're
not even at the limits of a class A facility, which makes me wonder what the
point is of them having a B1 license, since it gives them the same protected
contours as a C3, which are the same as for an A. What am I missing?

Given that WBUR was on 90.9 before WCNI, any changes to WBUR's DA would only
be at the convenience of WBUR.

I'm assuming you're referring to WSMU on 91.1 (not 91.9, as you indicate),
moving to channel 207.

You won't have to worry about these changes, as you're certainly still well
within the legally required coverage area of WBUR. And WCRB, for that matter
as well.

-Peter Murray (N3IXY)
Pittsburgh, PA