Re: WATD

  Aaron 'Bishop' Read wrote:

>I have noticed that most stations under 1000 watts (or the HAAT equivalent
>of 1000 watts, like WMBR) tend to have a LOT of trouble getting listeners
>- even during their good shows. In my experience unless you're pumping out
>several hundred watts at a minimum you're not penetrating buildings worth
>a damn in your core audience area, and that's 100% essential...unless
>you're targeting drive time, at which point you need a lot of watts to
>reach a wide area that people are driving in.

With very few exceptions, the days are gone when a station with a cruddy
signal would still pull 'em in.  It amazes me to look back to the 60s/early
70s when some Class IV graveyard channel AMs pulled amazing numbers.  The
ever-newer WMEX gave WBZ & WRKO a run for the money even with a really
awful signal that reached a lot of fish, but not much of anyone else.