RE: WLYN

i respectfully disagree with your assessment, sean. having listened to WHRB
and WMBR over the years, i have found they both provide adequate news and
information for the cambridge populace, which is largely dominated by
students and academic types. another important distinction between HRB, MBR,
WJIB and WLYN, is that the former three have a base in their city of
license. if a member of the cambridge community came into any of those
stations looking to lease programming time, or have a cause publicized, i am
sure that all three stations would accomodate (i know this for fact as bob
bittner graciously interviewed the director of a community theater
production i was performing in seven years ago).
this has simply not been the case with WLYN in the last ten years.

also, when you look at the statistics of the ten largest cities in the
commonwealth (given the possible exception of cambridge) it is apparent that
all have strong community voices. . .

Boston: 589,141  (WBZ, WRKO)

Worcester: 172,648 (WTAG)

Springfield: 152,082 (WHYN)

Lowell: 105,167 (WCAP, WCCM)

Cambridge: 101,355 (WJIB, WMBR, WHRB)

New Bedford: 93,768 (WNBH)

Brockton: 94,304 (WBET)

Fall River: 91,938 (WSAR)

Lynn: 89,050 (WLYN)

Quincy: 88,025 (WJDA)

again, with the possible exception of cambridge, every station provides a
strong voice for their community and the surrounding area. i realize that
the current state of radio is such that many developed areas are left
without a voice, but it is apparent that most major cities in massachusetts
have broadcast outlets that are open and available to the community. my
point is that WLYN has moved so far away from the community that it fails to
provide any sort of public service to the residents of the city of
license(regardless of language), which i believed to be FCC mandated. as i
said before, my hope is that WLYN will move back to lynn and reinstate its
presence in the community, providing locally-originated programming in the
many languages spoken by the residents of the city and the area.