Re: Changes at WODS

Rivers originally came to Boston in the late 80's to program WZOU.  It
wasn't too long before Kiss 108 was getting some serious competition
from 94.5.  Then owner Richie Balsbaugh lured Rivers  to Kiss a year or
two later when Sunny Joe was canned.  Eventually Rivers and Kiss put
away WZOU for good and WZOU wound up flipping to a CHR/Rhythmic format.
 Once the duopoly rules were enacted in the early 90's , Balsbaugh
bought 94.5, which by then had changed calls to WJMN.  I think that
Cadillac Jack was in place as PD at JMN when Balsbaugh aquired it, but
that Rivers wound up being the OM, or in one form or another was the
major decisionmaker for both stations.  He set up most of the "synergy"
between the stations in regards to music and promotions, with Kiss
skewing older and JMN going for the teen and minority audiences, which
still exists today.

Rivers left Kiss in 1993 to take a national PD/consultant gig within
Pyramid, and he brought in John Ivey to take his place at Kiss 108.  I t
was Ivey that let JJ go,  not Rivers.    At the time, it was thought
that JJ's ratings lagged behind the rest of the station, and that was
the reason  his contract was not renewed.   Who knows what the real
reason was.  I would guess that with Rivers' friendship with JJ, along
with his tendency to use older, well established personalities on his
stations, it was inevitable that JJ would be part of the mix at WODS.