Re: Message from WUMB re: WLYN

That's a good question, perhaps the new owners don't want to agree to air
leased programming for a short time that they may remove soon for thier
own plans or different programming, or perhaps they didn't agree to the
previous owners lease arrangements.

>For all the years I lived in South Boston, I NEVER could pick up WUMB with
>much success. There was always scratchiness, always interference.

Southie should be a prime area for WUMB, coming right over the water
from their Quincy tower. Perhaps you're too close to Boston and getting
intermodulation overload interference from the commercial boomers on the
Pru? In that case, I'd suggest lowering or lessening your antenna some.

If you're using a receiver with poor intermod rejection and selectivity
such as a boombox, walkman, or clock radio, there may not be much you can
do about it.

#1): Not enough people listen to AM mono for music to make it their main
signal, or have AM stereo recievers should it go stereo.

#2): WLYN's reduced power at night doesn't cover Boston very well, and
WUMB covers a lot of metro south suburbs (before the Cape relay comes
in) that WLYN doesn't reach well and they wouldn't want to lose.

#3): I don't think there ever were students on WUMB-FM, only on the closed
circuit station that preceded it. If there were, it was brief, and very few.

Eli Polonsky

http://mail2web.com/ .