Re: Ernie Harwell Retires

Bob Nelson writes:
> A few years ago, a Tigers executive ordered that
> some younger folks replace Harwell. Naturally there
> was a big outcry, and Harwell got his job back.

I believe it may have been Bo Schembechler. He was gone for one season,
stuck doing CBS Radio games and once the Little Caesar's people bought the
team, Ernie was re-hired.

I lived in Detroit for a short spell and had the chance to listen to Ernie
(it was the Tigers' final season on WJR). He had a way of making it
enjoyable to listen to a horrible Tigers team. He is definitely one of the
all-time greats, along with Vin Scully and John Miller (hopefully he is back
with the Sox next year!).