From: owner-boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org
[mailto:owner-boston-radio-interest@bostonradio.org] On Behalf Of Dan
Billings
Sent: Sunday, September 29, 2002 7:07 PM
To: Dave Faneuf; steveord@bit-net.com
Cc: lawrencemedia@yahoo.com; bri@bostonradio.org
Subject: Re: Commercials 103.3

--- Dave Faneuf <tklaundry@juno.com> wrote:
> Not all that hard to do is it?

How about doing it on a factual basis?  As Bob Bitner
has pointed out here several times, stations in the
golden age of Top 40 AM Radio ran more commercials per
hour than any station does today.

In my personal experience, the worst examples of
management whoring the station and filling it up with
commercials was by non-corporate local owners.  The
one publicly owned radio corporation that I worked for
had standards regarding the number of spots per hour
that were almost always followed.  I did notice some
exceptions when the station was falling short of goals
at the end of the quarter, but those situations were
the exception to the general rule.  Smart companies
know that in the long run, they are better off with a
relatively fixed level of inventory and higher rates
when demand increases.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine