Re: Commercials 103.3

--- Dave Faneuf <tklaundry@juno.com> wrote:
> I don't know how old you are, or how long you
have
> been in the business,
> but I do recall that the industry had broadcast
> standards at one time
> that limited commercial spots to 18 to 21 minutes
an
> hour.  Most stations
> tried to get to the 21 minutes an hour limit.
> Everybody adhered to the
> broadcast standards.

I started in radio in 1983.  Some stations at that
time did what you describe above.  I have worked for
stations that ran 20 minutes (or more) of spots per
hour.  All where the non-corporate owned stations that
everyone thinks were so wonderful.

Today, there is no music station in Portland that is
running more than 15 minutes per hour of commercials
on a regular basis.  Most are less than that -- 12
units, with a few more units in morning drive.  The
talk stations may play more.

So, at least in this market, corporate radio has
resulted in less commercial content.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine