Re: RUSS Automated tone

Cooper Fox wrote:
>When I was working at WREM in Monticello Maine
>back in the late 90s we used an old reel-to-
>reel/cart automation system that used low freq
>tones.

WROR (98.5) used a Gates automation system with
4 Ampex 350 tape decks for music.  The music reels
had a 25Hz tone at the end of the music.  The tone started within the music and extended beyond the end of the music.  Big Problem:  After the last song, the reels would stop and wait to be started again by the automation system - with NO MUSIC !!!
Required constant babysitting.  I provided the solution.  Techs cut the tape at the end and spliced on pre-recorded 25Hz Tone.  When the tape ran out after the last song, the take-up tension arm would fall, removing 110VAC from the capstan motor.  Wired across this motor was a relay whose NC contacts were wired in parallel with all the other tape decks' relays and these wwere wired to the plant alarm system.  Worked like a charm.

Roger