If It's September...

If it's September, it's time to see if scattered AM's with differing
facities pre-sunrise are waiting until 6:30 am hereabouts.  Now for
years, WNNW-AM 1110 in Salem, NH has disregarded the planet's journey
around the sun, and begun broadcasting between 5:00 am and LS.  Then
suddenly, last winter, you could set your watch by their sign-on.  Now
it's back to the future...I get up at about 5:45 am and WNNW has already
been broadcasting Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday so far.  And with enough
power to squelch WBT, Charlotte.  I'll keep watching.

BTW, I also looked at WDER-AM 1320 in Derry, NH (I use the verb
"watch" because one of my too-many radios has a relative signal-strength
meter) today (09/04), and their pattern-change occurred at the
mandated time, 6:30.   But an interesting thing happened at that time:
as is the case with many stations switching patterns, they went off-the-air
for a second and a half, and when they returned, the signal strength was
the same as before.  Then about 5 seconds later the pointer moved smoothly
up about two positions.  WDER operates with 10KW days, so
apparently they switch patterns first, and boost from 1KW to 10
afterwards.  Interesting.

Laurence Glavin
Methuen, MA

Communicate with others using Lycos Mail for FREE!
http://mail.lycos.com