Re: WWZN 1510's noncritical-hours day pattern is on

At 08:32 AM 7/13/2002, Dan Strassberg wrote:
>WWZN can thank the former WNLC 1510 New London CT, which went dark about
>four years ago, for the opportunity to improve its day signal.

And they can thank WXZR 98.7 for going under and selling the license to
WNLC.  Although I don't like WNLC's programming I respect their style of
radio quite a bit.  But having been a former "Z-Rocker" both as a listener
and as an intern ("Nine-de-ate, seven-F-M ZeeeEEEEEE-ROCK!!!"  :-)  it was
a real downer when Disney/ABC pulled the plug on the Z-Rock network (rumor
was that it "wasn't family-oriented enough").   After that WXZR went
through one or two other satellite networks that were feeble attempts
(including the Jones' Network "Adult-Alternative" - gag -
network...complete with the "Brian Shock B.S. Radio Show"....I kid you not,
that's what he called it)   to capture more of the 35-44 market....but
Z-Rock's ace-in-the-hole was always that Armed Forces Radio carried a lot
of Z-Rock around the world, so the sailors at the Navy base down the street
loved tuning us in when they were in port.   Unfortunately, they never
bought anything that we were advertising b/c the Base's commissary was a
lot cheaper.  D'oh!

Aaron "Bishop" Read     aread@speakeasy.net
FriedBagels.com Technical Consulting
www.friedbagels.com   AOL-IM: ReadAaron
"I'm weird, but around here it's barely noticeable."