RE: WBZ's old Sunday night "Silent Period" (RE: WBZ & WRKO - No Audio)

At 11:22 PM 6/25/02 -0400, Lou wrote:
>Damn!  I remember that!!
>I'd love to hear an aircheck of that.  (Anyone got one???)
>
>At 03:47 PM 6/25/2002 -0700, Donna Halper wrote:
>
>And remember WMEX, back when they were top 40 in the 60s?  They too used
>to leave the air on Sunday night at midnight for maintenance, and they
>would have a breathy female voice saying goodnight and explaining that they
>were going off the air for a while, with "I'll see you in my dreams" playing
>in the background...

Never heard that, but I do have a disc (vinyl equivalent of a CD-R) with a
WMEX sign on and off circa 1965.  Haven't played it in years, but as I
recall it was done straight.

The Sunday-night maintenance period sign-off was pretty common until the
mid-70s or so.  Like someone else mentioned, it was a great dx
opportunity.  Even FMs used to do that.  Well into the 80s WLYT used to go
off Saturday overnights, and 92.1 in Peterborough also used to sign off at
midnight...WPRO-FM used to boom in here in N.H. with those 2 1st adjacents off.