Re:Re: Very Unusual Commercial Airing Currently on WBZ-AM

--- tklaundry@juno.com wrote:
> This is the same station that refused to broadcast
> political ads for candidates and incumbants for
> Boston City Council a few years ago because they
> would have had to give them the lowest rate
> available.    New management, new owners,  reason
> for taking the ad?  simple, $$$$
> Nothing wrong with that since that's what they are
> in business to do, but don't make more out of it
> than is really there.  $$$  PSA's don't generate $$$

1.  I would not have made the same decision that WBZ
made on local races, but I understand it.  I think the
law requiring lowest unit rates for political ads
should be repealed.  It amounts to subsidizing
politicians.  Why should stations have to bump better
paying clients to run political ads?  I know the
argument about public service but there are better
ways to meet that requirement than 30 second ads.

2.  I agree that WBZ is making money from their
decision but there are other stations that have
policies that amount to management trying to act as a
truth squad before accepting such ads.  I find such
policies troubling.

3.  Most of the spots we are talking about would not
qualfify as PSAs -- if the station ran such things.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine