RE: RE: Sunday Globe Magazine article on Jerry Williams

WLS's signal here is _still_ good. I get a solid signal
from WBPS day and night, but on most nights, I can hear
WLS plainly if I turn the radio to null WBPS. With the
radio so oriented, WLS often comes in so well that I
can't hear WBPS at all. And on such nights, if I turn
the radio to pick up WBPS as well as I can, I can still
hear WLS quite well--so well that, on occasion, WBPS is
not listenable.

But in Chicago, WBZ ought to be even stronger than WLS
is in Boston, because WBZ's directional pattern makes
its signal to the west, in effect, twice as powerful as
WLS's signal in any direction. In consequence, it would
definitely be possible to show that WLS's 0.5 mV/m 50%
skywave falls several hundred miles short of Boston
whereas WBZ's 0.5 mV/m 50% skywave covers Chicago. That
isn't what the FCC's new data shows, however. According
to the FCC, WSCR, WGN, WBBM, and WLS reach just barely
east of Buffalo, whereas WBZ reaches just west of Toledo.

At least the FCC doesn't deny that WBZ's directional
signal carries farther than do the signals of Chicago's
nondirectional Class As. My guess, however, is that
according to the FCC, WMVP, which is directional to the
east, no longer reaches Leominster. If so, WCMX could
now stay on all night with a few watts. Or by adding a
second tower, WCMX might be able to get enough night
power to be heard in, say, Lunenburg.
--
dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205