Re: If It's A Gift-giving Observance, Here Comes the International Star Register

  Laurence Glavin wrote:
>Well, Father's Day is nearly upon us, and that means that the International
>Star Register is hustling their "Name-A-Star" scam.  I heard their
>spot on WBZ-AM today, but I'm sure it runs on all types of stations.

I hear that spot all the time, not just near holidays.  This may be a
network make-good, not a spot sold by WBZ...I've heard it in a lot of
network programming.  Since WBZ is both an ABC & CBS affiliate, they're
required to clear the network spots even if they don't carry the network
newscasts.  I've always wondered...what is the significance of the phrase
to the effect "your star will be recorded in book form at the US copyright
office"?  Sounds like some CYA language.

The ones that really annoy me are the Vermont Teddybear ones...all live
reads by the newscaster.  Not sure why they were sold that way...seems to
undermine credibility of the reporters to hear them shilling expensive
teddybears.