DTV

http://www.atsc.org/papers/8vsb/799Cover-PerfComp.html

Although this topic is not specifically radio
oriented, I was reading a paper on digital television
last night.  This paper compared the COFDM
transmission system (standard accepted by most of the
world) and the 8-VSB transmission system (system
accepted by the US).  Based on this paper, and another
report I had read (unfortunately I've forgotten the
link to its webpage now), it stated that 8-VSB digital
transmissions have a greater coverage area than those
of a standard analog VHF TV station.  This is even
hinted at in the above noted paper.  I find this
interesting because, based on things I've heard
elsewhere, an 8-VSB digital TV station's coverage
contour is expected to be about half the size of a
standard analog VHF station's contour.  Also, does
anyone know if anything has become of the Sinclair
initiated petition to the FCC to have the US standard
changed to COFDM, or has that been tossed out?  The
logic behind that petition, as I understand it, is
that 8-VSB's severe lack of ability to handle signal
multipaths causes most DTV stations in urban or very
hilly/mountainous areas to become unviewable.  Or does
anyone know if the 8-VSB system has been modified at
all to address the signal multipath issue since this
info was written?

                                 Matt Osborne
                                 Hyde Park, NY