Re: BUR-GBH

At 12:28 PM 6/5/2002, Dave Faneuf wrote:
>NERW wrote:
>Boston's two big NPR affiliates will sound even more alike beginning
>this week; WBUR-FM (90.9) is putting PRI's "Marketplace" back on its
>weeknight schedule (the show was displaced after September 11 by
>extended news coverage), slotting the business show at 6:30 PM - which
>just happens to be the same time the show airs on crosstown WGBH
>(89.7). WBUR and WGBH now run substantially identical programming from
>6 until 8 each morning (NPR's Morning Edition) and from 5 to 7 at
>night (All Things Considered, followed by Marketplace).
>
>Dave responds:
>4 out of 24 hours a day doesn't appear to me to be sounding a whole lot
>alike even if you don't take into account both stations have
>substantially different local news coverage during those hours.
>df

Well there's also the BBC (World Update and The World on WGBH, overnights
at WBUR) albeit not at the same time.  What really throws me is hearing
former WBUR ATC host Jordan Weinstein in the mornings on WGBH now.  :-)

Am I imagining things or did WGBH scale back their BBC coverage?   I
thought there was another hour or two of the Beeb in there before but I'm
not seeing it on their website's schedule now...

Speaking of public radio cloning each other...anyone noticed how weekdays
(and even weekends to some degree) NHPR and WBUR are virtually
identical?  In style of programming (i.e. call-in talk at X hour, straight
news at Y hour) if not literally (Here & Now, TOTN, etc)  Must be a bummer
for folks in southern NH, although obviously for the rest of the state it
doesn't matter one way or the other.

Aaron "Bishop" Read     aread@speakeasy.net
FriedBagels.com Technical Consulting
www.friedbagels.com   AOL-IM: ReadAaron