HOAX! (Was: Re:Virus alert)

At 4:29 PM -0400 5/13/02, Robert Paine is rumored to have typed:

> Please excuse another form letter but something very serious MAY have come
> up. I'll refer you to the attachment. I did find this in my files and
> deleted it.

   (*sigh*) You REALLY need to research these things before you pass them
along and frighten other people with these hoaxes. I am blind-copying those
you sent your "warning" to, so they will also know this is a hoax. One more
time...it's a HOAX.

   Please see:

http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBMalCode.shtml#jdbgmgr

   ...from the U.S. Department of Energy's Computer Incident Advisory
Capacity's HoaxBuster website for complete information on this silly
nonsense. Deleting that file is completely useless, since it is NOT a virus
and is instead a standard Windows file.

   The only "virus" here are these annoying "VIRUS ALERT" messages that get
sent to thousands of people, using not computer technology but gullibility to
"infect" others. Please do NOT, under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, forward these silly
things around; if it's a _real_ virus, you'll hear about it through your
virus software. I have yet to be informed of a REAL virus through email, but
I get bunches of these hoaxes every week.

         Charlie Summers