Re: Live Morning Show on WMEX Farmington NH

(I tried posting this earlier today and it bounced from the list. Here's try #2, with a different method):

I actually heard the first half-hour of 106.5 WMEX's first live show with Gary yesterday, 6:00 - 6:30 AM. I heard Gary playing 60's oldies with the old WMEX PAM jingles and saying "WMEX - Live from the Lilac City of Rochester".

There were two commercials, one for a local restaurant and one for a local car dealership. One of them was voiced by Gary There was also an (amateur sounding) sportscaster reading scores in a sports break.

I found that I could hear the station fairly well in spots in the rear parking lot of the Somerville MA City Hall, which is on a north-facing hill with the City Hall building behind me blocking some of the adjacent channel interference from WMJX 106.7 on the Pru three miles to the south. There must have also been an atmospheric skip factor happening as well, because I couldn't get them this afternoon in the same location at all.

I've heard that for now, Gary will essentially BE the station up there, AM drive DJ, GM, and Sales. They reportedly have no plans to add more live shifts in the forseeable future, though there will be some more voice-tracked liners added during the rest of their programming.

I hadn't heard about Jackson originating WMEX programming from CT in the future, but it's possible. I worked with Gary James when he was PD at 1150 AM oldies WMEX in Boston in the mid-80's, and he's also bounced around New England including WDRC in Hartford, WARE in Ware, WMAS and WHYN in Springfield, WKNE in Keene, WAVI Portsmouth and  WTSN/WBYY in Dover NH.

Eli Polonsky

http://mail2web.com/ .