Norm and Jack RIP

I worked with both Norm Macdonald and Jack Chase during my early years in
the heyday of TV news, and I want everyone to know that they were true
professionals, gentlemen and friends.  Lots of things have changed in the TV
biz since then as the 90’s brought on all sorts of “improvements” that did
anything but.  As Jack’s obit stated, “it was fun”…and it truly was with
many fond memories in the minds of fewer and fewer people who are still
around.

It is hard to believe that my 33 years went by so fast and then faded to
black.  Norm was even my “roomie” for 1.5 years when he was between
marriages.  He was a genuine meteorologist and didn’t settle for the
mediocre science that often blows forth from the tube these days.  And Jack
was most kind to this novice TV type who cut his teeth at the outset by
doing weekends and filling in for Don Kent on the weekday AM show with Jack.
  A very calming influence he was, and he was also instrumental in teaching
me about the dark side of the TV biz.  I can still remember Jack protesting
the coffee cup decree at a station meeting as if it were yesterday.  And
neither of these two greats would get caught up in the hype and hysteria
that now seems so commonplace.

Back then, there was a genuine commitment to quality and integrity that Jack
and Norm pursued, and less fractured/jaded audiences responded with rating
books sporting numbers around 20 and sometimes better for a newscast.
Today, programs rarely break a 10 and often hover at 5 or less despite huge
increases in TV households.  I may be naďve, but I also feel that there was
far more commitment to the community and “doing good”.  We can thank these
icons for that rich heritage which now seems to be disappearing.

I add my wishes for “fair winds and following seas” to Norm and Jack.  They
were the best!

Bruce Schwoegler