Re: Clear Channel expose coming to PBS this weekend...

In a message dated 4/24/02 11:04:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kc1ih@mac.com
writes:

<< I think it's a lot different because the public stations are a
 network, and don't try to represent themselves as anything else.>>

I don't think that, in either situation, most listeners care.

 <<And, I think it would just be too cost prohibitive for each station
 on Maine Public Radio to produce it's own local programs.  They'd
 have to start by building a studio.>>

That's exactly the excuse that commercial broadcasters use!  Is it a
legitimate excuse for public radio but not commercial radio?

<<You'd probably find more local programming on community stations in
 Maine such as WMPG and WERU, albeit much of it might be too much left
 wing for your tastes, and sometimes even too left for my tastes. >>

I think both provide a valuable alternative to commercial radio.  My only
complaint with WMPG is that a significant portion of their funding comes from
mandatory student activities fees from University of Southern Maine students
but the station tries to serve the larger community and does not include many
students in programming.

As for Maine Public Radio and National Public Radio, I am a regular listener
to their news programming.  I think they both do a good job with news.

My point was that I think it is funny for a show on public broadcasting to do
a story on the homogenization of radio when public radio has been a leader in
that regard.

-- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine