Re: Response from Bruce Schwoegler

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 17:58:26 EDT Dibmaine@aol.com writes:
> In a message dated 4/17/02 1:02:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
> tklaundry@juno.com writes:
>
> << Would that be prior to the contract expiring or upon it's
> expiration? >>
>
> I read the law that if an employee leaves before the contract
> expires, the
> non-compete stays in effect until the contract runs out.  When the
> contract
> ends, the non-compete ends.
>
> In an earlier e-mail, you made the point about walking about while a
> contract
> is in effect is breach of contract.  That's correct but a court is
> unlikely
> to force an employee to go back to work and the employer probably
> doesn't
> want the employee to come back.  It will be tough in most situations
> for an
> employer to show monetary damages due to the breach by the employee.
>
> Enforcing a non-compete, in that limited situation, is the best way
> to do
> justice in such a situation.
>
> -- Dan Billings, Bowdoinham, Maine

That makes sense.  (so how can it be legal LOL)

Perhaps the confusion on my part is Bruce's use of the term BOLT, I would
use it as meaning that an employee left the station after his/her
contract expires, perhaps Bruce meant BOLT as being leaving a station
BEFORE the contract runs out for employment elsewhere?   Most employees
in a situation like this would most likely just wait out the contract
(why jepordize any severance if you walk?)

As far as an earlier response regarding "reasonable attorney fees" I can
only guess that they would apply to the losing side of any litigation?
df