Re: Lowell & Lawrence (and Haverill?) - W L L H !

Early enough in the game, a third TX in Haverhill would have been possible.
There was no 1380 in Portsmouth or 1420 in Wolfboro. (I kinda doubt that
WASR would have been a problem in any case.) The biggest problem would have
been Biddeford, and back when WLLH was considring a TX in Haverhill, I don't
think that existed yet. Of course, that was all before the FCC allowed what
were then Class IV AMs to run 1 kW-D DA-D. With a TX between Lowell and
Lawrence and a pair of half-wave towers creating a figure-8 pattern with the
major axis running east-west, WLLH could have covered the entire Merrimac
valley nicely by day. And back then, the NIBYs hadn't yet organized and
real-estate prices hadn't skyrocketed, so finding a site for the daytime TX
would not have been difficult. Remember that when Class IVs were first
permitted 1 kW-D, they were still restricted to 250W-N. 250W rooftop
nighttime TXs in the downtown areas of each of the three cities would have
covered the cities pretty well and there would have been no hash
area/synchronization problem because, as you moved away from WLLH's nearest
TX, the background QRM from all of the other 1400s around the US and Canada
would have masked the signals from WLLH's other not-quite-synchronous TXs
before they became audible.

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205, eFax 707-215-6367