Re: Another ABC affiliate cuts local news

On Sunday, April 14, 2002, at 09:24  AM, Chris Beckwith wrote:

> KTKA/Topeka, KS is eliminating its traditional local newscasts within a
> week.

I was at first shocked by this trend, but then thought, what's the big
deal?  If a station's news is so lowly-rated that it doesn't pay to keep
it on the air, so what?  Then I thought of the lack of competition for
the remaining newscasts in the market.  Then I thought of the fact that
the only identity stations have these days is local news, since 99% of
everything else is network or syndicated fare.  KTKA, along with all the
other stations dropping local news, will now become a faceless conduit
for national programming.  Gee, just like most radio stations.

Where do you think it will all end?  In ten or twenty years, how many
stations in small or medium markets will still have local news?  For
that matter, will ABC, CBS and NBC still have nightly news shows?

It reminds me a situation in reverse.  WHYN Springfield (channel 40; now
WGGB) used to have local news but not carry ABC news in the evening.  It
was 1970 or so, and was it Harry Reasoner from ABC that said any station
not carrying the network news should be embarrassed?

Paul