Re: WROR-FM?

>I took a look at that, and I thought there was one more element to the
>story that isn't mentioned there.  Unless I heard it wrong, I believe
>that part of the deal was that Ted Turner covered the cost of the
>call-letter change for WTBS/WMBR.

Hmmm...he probably did, but I'm not entirely sure of that.  Back in 1979,
I don't believe the FCC charged filing fees for call letter changes (but
I could be wrong).  Assuming they didn't, the only other costs associated
with a call letter change would be from the lawyers who help us with the
FCC paperwork.

I've seen photocopies of the two $25,000 checks from Turner Broadcasting.
I don't recall seeing any other checks from them, but I'd have to dig out
the financial records from 1979 to confirm that.  Even if there wasn't
another check to the station, it's possible he could've paid the lawyers
directly, in which case we might not have any record of that.  But again,
the books from 1979 would show what legal expenses the station did pay that
year, though there might not be much detail regarding those.

Or I could ask some of the "old-timers" that are still around.  So many
questions, so little time...

-Shawn Mamros
E-mail to: mamros@mit.edu