Re: WEEI 850 off air, WERS too?

I know they WERE using RBDS to send out their call letters and little else
on one of their subcarriers, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's a Radio
Reading Service on one of their subcarriers.

I know they've got an Enco system (at least a couple of years ago they had
a really hardcore one when they moved into the current studios, I can't
imagine it being replaced all that quickly) so I imagine it's easy enough
to add Legal ID's and automate the EAS...but why not just automate some
programming...do some voicetracking and whatnot?  Can't be THAT hard...

- Aaron

At 04:53 PM 4/8/2002, Eli Polonsky wrote:
>I believe WERS keeps their carrier on the air at all times for SCA
>(subcarrier) programming (I've heard possibly a radio service for the
>visually-impaired??)
>
>That is why WHRB (Harvard) also sometimes broadcasts dead carriers (with
>automated TOH ID's and/or promos) during school breaks and summertime.
>
>Eli Polonsky
>

> > Date: Mon, 08 Apr 2002 13:10:19 -0400
> > From: "Aaron 'Bishop' Read" <aread@speakeasy.net>
> > Subject: RE: WEEI 850 off air, WERS too?
> >
> > At 12:55 AM 4/8/2002, Hakim Madjid wrote:
> >> About two weeks ago 850 was off the Air around 2am. Perhaps they're having
> >> some sort of technical problem with the transmitter.
> >> 73, de Hakim (N1ZFF)
> >
> > Did anyone else notice that WERS (88.9FM) was putting out dead carrier
> > (transmitter on, no audio) around 4am Sunday morning (3am if you hadn't
> > switched your clocks yet)?
> >
> > If memory serves WERS still goes off-air from 2am to 6am every morning, so
> > they were supposed to be off-air then, but the transmitter should be
> off, too.

Aaron "Bishop" Read       aread@speakeasy.net
Fried Bagels Consulting   www.friedbagels.com
12 Walnut St. / Waltham, MA / 02453