Opportunity missed for Sox

Found this curious item on the Wilmington (N.C.) Morning Star website.
The city just lost its Single-A team, the Waves, to Albany, Ga., so the
station that carried the games is bringing in the Yankees. But not
before talking to the Sox:

====
STATION GOES WITH YANKS
After the Wilmington Waves moved to Albany, Ga., WMFD-AM 630 ESPN radio,
decided to carry a minimum of 140 New York Yankees' broadcasts this
season.
Why the Yankees?
According to station programming director Jim Clark, he made a number of
inquires to teams, including the Braves, Yankees, Boston Red Sox and New
York Mets.
"We thought it was best to go with the Yankees,'' Clark said. "They gave
us the best deal. We also got a lot of community support to do it and we
are not going to lose money on this deal.''
Without going into details, Clark indicated the station would break
even. The station, he acknowledged, lost money on the Waves' broadcasts
last year.
=====

Now, in the same column, the writer, Chuck Carree, mentions that the
area's Fox Sports Net operation will not be carrying a small package of
Braves games this year, as baseball has determined eastern North
Carolina to be Orioles territory, so they'll see 80 O's games.

I'm confused. Baseball has strict territorial regulations for TV, but
radio stations can cherry-pick deals with teams hundreds of miles away?
Why wasn't this station forced to carry Orioles games or nothing? What
if there's already an Orioles' affiliate in the market?  And if a
station in North Carolina feels it can do no worse than "break even"
with the Yankees, what's to prevent the Yanks from going out and
peddling their star-studded product to stations everywhere?

Oh, and why would the station have been interested in Red Sox games? The
Trot Nixon connection?

Howard