Re: WUPI/WUPY?

On 27 Mar 2002 at 16:34, arusso@smcvt.edu wrote:

> I read somewhere on the web that there was once a station with the call
> letters WUPI/WUPY (which stood for "Whoopie!") licensed to Peabody MA that
> played a jazz format and had a short life-span. I was hoping someone had
> some historical info on this "lost" North Shore station.

I remember hearing it.  Someone at WMUA in Amherst told me, back in the 1960s, not too
long after the station went dark, that some con artist convinced the owner of Anthony's
Hawthorne, Hawthorne-by-the-Sea, and the General Gloverhouse (I think the same guy who
later owned Pier 4) to bankroll a radio station.

What I remember is that these restaurants seemed to be the only sponsors on the station,
no matter when you listened.  I also recall that the station first came on as WUPY, then
went dark for awhile, then returned at WUPI, same format.

My WMUA source told me that after the station finally went dark, the FCC killed the channel
allocation because of interference with some other station somewhere.