Re: wire recorders

Just like a tape recorder!...the "head" was shaped
like a V to keep the wire in place...and on the one I
had, the head went up and down to make sure it spooled
onto the reel correctly.

When I was a kid (60's) I discovered my dad had an old
"Webster-Chicago" wire recorder.  We had some fun with
it....although the sound quality was never that good.
Not sure why they were not more popular. I never heard
of a radio station using one...ever!  I am surprised
that my dad had one in the closet...as they must've
been expensive when they were available.

How much did they cost back then, anyone know?

What years were they manufactured, anyone?

Now...when you got the wire "tangled"...OY!

As kids we eventually killed the thing...and took it
apart.

How I wish now that we woulda preserved it!

BTW..There's an Abbot & Costello movie that features a
wire recorder...I remember someone nailing the mike to
the bottom of a dinner table or something.  It looked
just like the one we had.  Maybe there was only one
manufacturer?

JP

--- Cooper Fox <fox893@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have heard them mentioned in a bunch of texts
> about
> radio in the early part of the 20th century, but
> have
> never been able to find a plce where it is explained
> how wire recording devices work.  Does anyone know?
>
> =====
> Cooper
>     Alice 93.7 FM  WXAL, Middlebury, VT

> http://movies.yahoo.com/