Re: WJPZ-FM Syracuse (was: Made-up callsigns (was: WBZ-TV News on WSBK...))

On 26 Mar 2002 at 0:02, Ben Levy wrote:

> However, at the time WHDH-TV (on channel 7) was created, WHDH itself was
> not available to be the TV station's callsign, it was in use at 850 AM. I
> believe WHDH-TV could now become WHDH if they wanted to, but it'd cost
> them a filing fee and the employee time of somebody filling out a form.
> Callsign changes don't happen automatically.

But that was not the case with WJZ-TV.  In 1953, WJZ, WJZ-FM, WJZ-TV in New York
became WABC-etc.  Westinghouse, the original owner of WJZ, reclaimed the three-letter
call and named their Baltimore TV station WJZ-TV.  I believe there was no WJZ (AM).