RE:FMand AM legal IDs(was: WJPZ-FM Syracuse)

On 26 Mar 2002 at 14:56, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> The rules say that you must identify the station with the call sign
> ``as stated on the license''.  When a station changes call signs, the FCC
> sends a piece of paper which is an amendment to the license specifying a
> different call sign.  Whatever it says is exactly the set of letters
> required.

I've always wondered about the once-common practice of giving the ID as "Wxxx- AM &
FM."  Doesn't sound to me like it's legally correct, unless the rules have changed since the
days when a co-owned FM station was usually just a repeater for the AM ( back when I was
Adam's age).