Re: WJPZ-FM Syracuse (was: Made-up callsigns (was: WBZ-TV News on WSBK...))

On 25 Mar 2002 at 13:41, Ben Levy wrote:

> As far as I know, the FCC just doesn't assign W???-FM or W???-TV unless
> the plain W??? string has already been checked out on another band. If
> that's true, then there's no way the station could be WJPZ-FM unless
> something somewhere was WJPZ at the time. (Like, maybe, the AM 1200
> operation...?)

I believe that's not the case.  There are many stations with the -TV or -FM suffix where the
base call letters are not otherwise assigned.  Local examples presently include WHDH-TV
and WROR-FM.  There's also WJZ-TV in Baltimore.