Re: Made-up callsigns

>regarding old call letters and their meanings, Scott wrote--
>
>Donna...give us some of the other good ones.

And there are many.  Sometime back, I discussed how some of the earliest
calls didn't stand for anything but were in fact ship radio station call
letters-- after the tragedy of the Titanic, the government passed a law
stating that all ships had to have an on-board and operational ham radio
station.  But if a ship sank, the next ship didn't want those call letters,
thinking them to be bad luck; so the Department of Commerce stock-piled
them and when radio came along, assigned many of them to the new commercial
stations. the call letters of WBZ originally belonged to a ship radio station.

Beware of legends about call letters, however.  Many stations took randomly
(and sequentially) assigned calls and insisted they stood for something,
when in fact the so-called meaning was added much later.  WSAR in Fall
River used to claim their calls were requested, standing for "We Sell
Advertising Results", but if you check the list of call letters from 1923
(and yes there are several sites on the internet that give the call letters
and when the stations got them), you will see that these calls were just
assigned in order (WSAB, WSAC, WSAD, etc).  In 1924, the calls "WSAD" used
to belong to a Providence station, and no the owner (a jeweller who owned a
store in downtown Providence) was not unhappy as far as I can tell...

Some calls *were* requested for a specific purpose, such as when the late
great John Shepard 3rd put his all-female station on the air in January of
1927 and asked for (and got) WASN-- All Shopping News.  No joke, no
sexism-- it really was an early attempt at a home shopping station, and the
women who ran it also did news, public service, and announced the music
(the orchestra was all male, however).  But our earliest historical calls,
like WNAC and WBZ and even the late lamented WGI were just assigned by the
Department of Commerce and had no particular meaning.