Re: Questions about radio announcers job ...

I went to the Cameo informational meeting last summer...it's an interesting
setup.  The idea is (or was, at the time) essentially that they lease bulk
time on a number of AM and cable FM stations somewhere out west, and then
subcontract it out to members in 15-minute chunks per week.  The members
show up once a week, drop off a check, and produce said show in the Cameo
studios.  Then, the beauty is that you can make a fortune by selling
advertising in your show, they say.  They were extremely tight-lipped about
the affiliate info until after you paid the welcoming fee, so it's hard to
say how well you can market and sell a show from 3000 miles away.  Actually
it's easy to say.  But that wasn't part of the presentation.

Anyway, it seemed like a good, if expensive, way to learn a little about
broadcasting, or for a housewife to have a soapbox.  For anyone with
experience, not sure if it's worth much.   I guess I was a little
disappointed that the pitch was a little too perfect.  That is, even I
almost left there believing that I would be able to pick up a barter
account, getting free airfare and cars, in exchange for plugs on this crazy
station;   it didn't include anything mentioning the realities of selling
advertising.   But I guess the meeting worked well enough -- if they are
still in the Quincy offices 9 months later, that must be a good sign.

Eric