The NEW WCVB-TV/Channel 5!! (was Re: THIRTY YEARS AGO TUESDAY)

     Harold J. Clancy was both Publisher of the Boston
Herald-Traveler and President of WHDH, Inc., the
wholly owned subsidiary that operated WHDH/850 AM,
WHDH-FM Stereo/94.5 and WHDH-TV/Channel 5.
     The WHDH-TV transmitter breathed its' last gasp
of RF at exactly 2:30 am on Sunday, March 19th, 1972.
When "Fixed Bayonettes" ended about 2:00 am, WHDH-TV
did the usual sign-off.  But it did not end there.
They ran the usual test-pattern with a pre-recorded
Ken Stahl saying the voice-over "WHDH-TV, Channel 5,
Boston, Massachusetts.  We are now conducting our
regular maintenance test period.  Our regular
programming will begin at 5:45 am this morning".  Then
the screen went black for the next 25 minutes with
just a silent carrier. Then at 2:29:30 am, the test
pattern reappeared with Ken Stahl's voice-over MINUS
the "our regular programming will begin......."
statement.  Then the carrier disappeared forever at
2:30:00 am.
     Thirteen minutes later, the colorful WCVB-TV
test-pattern kicked in with 1,000 kHz tone at 2:43 am.
 At 2:45 am, the announcer (Ken Stahl!!!!) came on to
say good morning to everyone and said that they would
be beginning in just a few minutes. Back to tone.  At
exactly 3:00 am, the new WCVB-TV signed-on with the
National Anthem and a cheery "hello world" sign-on
statement!  Afterwards, Leo J. Beranek and his fellow
executives came on and said "Good Morning...and
WELCOME to WCVB-TV!!!".  The WCVB-TV Preview with
Arnold Zenker came on immediately after the greetings.
 I would love to see that thirty minute preview once
again!!! WCVB-TV signed-off after the show and
returned to test-pattern and tone until 6:00 am.
     So that's what happened on Sunday morning, March
19th, 1972.  I know, I saw it all as a 12 year old
radio and TV junkie in Randolph, MA!

Cheers,

Peter Q. George (K1XRB)
Whitman, Massachusetts