Re: THIRTY YEARS AGO TUESDAY

On 17 Mar 2002 at 9:08, Kevin Vahey wrote:

> The Ch 5 president spoke on WHDH's last
> newscast at 11 that Saturday night ( Harold Clancy?)
> and other than that the station simply signed off with
> no fanfare ( the last movie was "Fixed Bayonettes")

I think Clancy was the HeraldpTraveler's publisher, too.  I remember watching that last
newscast.  Clancy said that any new operation was likely to have things go wrong, although
"we hope not."  And if at any point WCVB had any problems (Again, "We hope not.") and
there was any way WHDH could help, they would be glad to do so.  I think he was trying to
be gracious, but, despite that offer, he came across somehow as not a very happy camper.
Al Gore sounded much more gracious in defeat.

I also remember John Henning signing off that last newscast and looking very grim in his
facial expression.  I remember thinking he might be concerned for his own professional
future.  But, as it turned out, the next day, he was on WCVB.

> In retrospect the Herald Traveler losing the license
> was ill advised as the city lost a newspaper and the
> so called local ownership of BBI proved to be a sham
> because as feared they did sell out to Metromedia a
> few years later ... ( it was always rumored that
> Metromedia fronted BBI the money to set up shop) and
> in fact top management was imported from Metromedia.

As I recall, most of the ownership of BBI came from the law firm of Brown, Rudnick, Freed &
Gesmer.

I've long thought the Channel 5 dispute was largely a partisan battle.  The Herald-Traveler
was a major newspaper voice of the Northeast wing of the Republican Party.  The Globe was
a liberal newspaper with ties to the Kennedys.  The Herald-Traveler was granted the TV
license by an Eisenhower-appointed FCC.  The license was taken away by a Kennedy and
Johnson appointed FCC.

While the litigation in the courts didn't end until 1972, four years into the Nixon
Administration, by that time it was in the Federal courts.  Not only are the courts supposed
to be less partisan, but, with long-term appointments, it takes a long time for a new
administration to put its stamp on the courts, to the extent that it's going to.  And a major
tenet of administrative law is that courts show some deference to an agency's decision,
within its jurisdiction.