Re: WJLT at night (Was RE: WCBS off time...)

I talked to the CE at WSM years ago when what was then WRPT started
broadcasting post-sunset. He said he thought WRPT was legal--and it was; I
was just unaware that the rules had been relaxed. As I think you know,
daytimers located east of a dominant Class A and outside of the Class A's
0.5 mv/m 50% skywave contour can, even without night authorization, operate
two hours post sunset. WJLT meets those criteria with respect to WSM. WJLT
is now also licensed for 9W ND-N (from Mt Wayte--NOT Sewell St, as someone
posted), and I believe that a further relaxation of the rules allows the
station to use its post-sunset facilities for the first two hours post
sunset. (Previously, a Class D licensed for unlimited time had to stop using
the post-sunset facilities it would have been allowed if it had not been
granted night service.)

As far as I know, WJLT runs 50W (or thereabouts) from Framingham sunset
until Nashville sunset (usually 1 hour after Framingham sunset), then
something less (but more than 9W--the allowed power probably depends on the
month--higher in summer; lower in winter) until 2 hours past Framingham
sunset, and then 9W year-round until Framingham sunrise or 6:00 AM local
time, whichever is earlier. I believe that, when local sunrise is later than
6:00 AM standard OR Daylight savings time (herabouts, that means September
though February), WJLT's pre-sunrise authorization allows something close to
the 50W the station uses during the first post-sunset hour.

All of us may be repulsed by the infomercials and other junk programming on
WJLT, but as far as observing these onerous rules goes, as far as I can
tell, Langer's stations have a good record of compliance. I think Marty is
just trying to relive his moment of glory of a couple of years ago. He
accomplished something that neither Jefferson Pilot nor WBT's consulting
engineer had been able to do in years of trying: He got the CRTC to clamp
down on CKTY after the station had flagrantly violated its license by using
its day facilites 24/7 for at least 15 years. Of course, only a couple of
months after that, CKTY moved, for good, to FM ;>) Can you say Pyrrhic
victory?

--
Dan Strassberg, dan.strassberg@att.net
617-558-4205, eFax 707-215-6367